CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Twice Bitten - Chloe Neill

TITLE: Twice Bitten

AUTHOR: Chloe Neill

SUMMARY: Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit, Chicago's newest vampire. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene-and to spy for the vamps while she's at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan's offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.

Unfortunately, someone is gunning for Gabriel, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She'll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals-not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries-old master vampire. - From Publisher

REVIEW: A fast paced story that once again lands Merit in deep waters as she tries to figure out what side she should be fighting for and how to deal with the politics of Pack & Houses.

I am not sure how Neill managed to take shape-shifters and write them in a way that I wasn't fully expecting. Sure, she kept to lots of what we know but I liked that while much was he same she tossed in little things, like the pack not submitting to Gabriel fully. They seemed okay with showing their rage and potentially attacking. In other shape-shifter books one may challenge the Alpha but it's always done in such a political calm way, these guys aren't quite like that. Even the characters from this Pack were fun and I found myself immensely loving them and wondering if at some point Neill was going to throw a curve ball and have little flirty-flirt between Merit & Pack.

Along with bringing in the Pack we also got some good reveals and within the first two pages my anxiety sky rocketed. We finally find out who has been sending her, Merit, those mysterious letters and what is asked of her is shocking. Plus, it never fully resolves itself until the last moment, so, through out the whole story I was simply waiting for the other shoe to drop. I love that Neill never writes her character as cookie cutter. Merit is a complex character and with each book I love that she not only grows but when she challenges Ethan I love that she often makes a good point. She is independent without it ever rubbing one the wrong way. She's a smart chic. And makes a point of not becoming what others before her have become.

Of course we get lots of Merit & Ethan moments, which are wonderful. Not so much Morgan in this book but I'm okay with that, only because I'm not sure what side he's on at the moment. Celina is still a worry for me and while I loved the moments we got with Merit & Morgan (in this book & previous ones) I worry that his allegiance is still to the old Master of the House and if push came to shove he'd support Celina and that it would crush Merit if they were involved. Of course with that said Ethan can be such a douche at times that I just want Merit to find someone who isn't into playing games or using her as a weapon. Neill is one author where there was a potential love triangle and still is but I don't feel like either guy could win and who knows, another one could come in and steal my heart. She's done a fabulous job at balancing and not having one fully win, which in my opinion is smart. I hate when in a series you instantly get a pairing and they are just happy happy. Again, Lisa like tension, pulling and pushing and longing but refusing... *le sigh*

Oodles to twists & turns and I naturally loved the fight sequences, especially when Merit is in training. There's nothing about this series that I find irksome. Neill has really found a fabulous rhythm and has created a 'verse that I just want more and more of.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

2 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Great review! Told you it was good!

♥ Lisa ♥ said...

It was so good! Neill is a genius for managing to out-smart the love triangle. Thanks.