CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pride - Rachel Vincent

TITLE: Pride

AUTHOR: Rachel Vincent

SUMMARY: I'm on trial for my life. Falsely accused of infecting my human ex-boyfriend--and killing him to cover up the crime. Infecting a human is one of three capital offenses recognized by the Pride--along with murder and disclosure of our existence to a human.

I'm two for three. A goner.

Now we've discovered a rogue stray terrorizing the mountainside, hunting a wild teenage tabbycat. It's up to us to find and stop him before a human discovers us. With my lover Marc's help, I "think" I can protect the vulnerable girl from both the ambitious rogue and the scheming of the territorial council.

"If" I survive my own trial... - From Publisher

REVIEW: When reading Rogue and the fallout from Faythe and her college years I never would've guessed that there as going to be a trial. I don't know why I just figured they'd try to cover it up. So having Faythe fight for her life against a corrupt council was just a bit shocking, but in the best way.

The story starts off with Marc & Faythe still apart due to the previous book and Faythe unwilling to marry. I have to admit that I loved that and loved that things weren't patched as we got into this book. I like that Marc got his 'balls back' and that it forced Faythe to make a choice. I like that things between these two aren't smoothed over and you know that they aren't the happy couple working together to knock back the common foe. Yes, they will fight together for the Pride and because while not together none of us readers think for a moment that Marc doesn't love Faythe or unwilling to do anything to save her. I just like that we don't have a 'happy' couple shoved down our throats. I like when authors do this with a series, sometimes if things are all 'yay' I find myself bored.

While the tension between Marc & Faythe was delicious nothing compared to the events of the trial. So many unexpected issues arose and none of them I predicted. And while I was reading I was constantly thinking, no way will that happen. They'll find a way around it, not gonna happen but it did! The unexpected did happen and while I was thrown, I loved it. This whole book kept me on my toes. I was throwing guesses left and right about how they could fix it and none of my ideas worked.

Love when a book and series can keep you guessing and wondering how things will be fixed. I feel like this is the book where Faythe realizes everything that her actions have caused. It's a slap in her face but it was needed. I don't think she fully understood the concessions her father was making, what it was doing to the Pride.

This book broke my heart, in the best ways and once again Vincent managed to keep the series going strong with new obstacles and some of the same ones.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

2 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

This book had me tensed the entire time after what happened in Rogue between Marc and Faythe. I kept wanting everything to be okay between them and Faythe's ordeal.

Rachel did excellent pacing and buildup in this one! The ending was heartbreaking as well.

♥ Lisa ♥ said...

I loved that they weren't okay. And it wasn't like a stupid argument that caused everything. The ending was heartbreaking but I loved that Vincent didn't give us cliff-hanger after cliff-hanger.