CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 13, 2011

Falling out of Fashion - Karen Yampolsky

TITLE: Fall out of Fashion

AUTHOR: Karen Yampolsky

SUMMARY: In the bestselling tradition of The Devil Wears Prada, Karen Yampolsky's hilarious and disarmingly candid debut goes deep inside the glossy, glamorous, and completely ruthless world of magazine publishing, where bitchiness and betrayal are always in vogue, and this month's hotshots are just one dud issue away from a pink slip and a one-line career obit on Page Six... As a teenager at a prestigious prep school, Jill White studied her roommate's magazines, filled with airbrushed-beyond-recognition photos of whisper-thin blondes who hadn't finished a meal since third grade. She dreamed of one day starting a magazine of her own that would feature women of all sizes and colors--smart, witty, real women with aspirations beyond tinier thighs and shinier hair. - From Publisher

REVIEW: I was sort of expecting something different with this book so it took me a moment to realize that I was going to have to shift my expectations to enjoy this read.

When I had picked this book up I was thinking that it would be a chick-lit romance but it was more a chick-lit story with a splash of romance. The whole story flashes backwards and tells the story of how Jill becomes to be and her whole journey into the magazine scene. It was a good read, once I realized that this wasn’t going to be what I thought. Still, I found it a bit borlng because Jill’s whole life was crammed into a book so we more got snippets of stories and how that molded her… etc.

I probably wouldn’t recommend this book unless you love any sort of fashion story and if you like books that have this format and storyline. I personally like to get sucked into the world rather then feel like I am getting a point by point on a characters life.

All in all, it was okay. Not my favorite and I’m sure in a few months when I look back I may struggle to remember this book’s storyline.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: