CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 20, 2011

Don of The Dead - Casey Daniels

TITLE: Don of The Dead

AUTHOR: Casey Daniels

SUMMARY: She sees dead people

Beautiful, smart, and chic, Pepper Martin never had to work a day in her life -- until her surgeon daddy was convicted of fraud, her wealthy fiancé took a powder, and the family fortune ran bone dry.

Suddenly desperate, the inexperienced ex-rich girl was forced to take the only job she could get: as a tour guide in a cemetery. But a grave situation took a turn for the worse when a head-on collision with a headstone left her with an unwanted ability to communicate with the disgruntled deceased . . . and now Pepper has a whacked Mafia don demanding that she hunt down his killers -- and threatening to haunt her until she does. - From Publisher

REVIEW: Another series that I am past fashionably late to read. I have a few of these. However, the nice thing about being late is that there are now 7 books out (in total for this series) there for me to read. I sorta loved that when I started to reach Rachel Vincent's Shifters series I had so-so many books to read and I didn't need to wait for 'em.

Anyway, onto the review because none of you probably really care about how I seem to have been missing out on various series.

I was a bit leery when I picked up this first book. Worried that it would be cliche and that Pepper would annoy me, because realistically she has the makings of a character that would annoy readers. A rich girl that falls out of money and now has to work? I was scared that Pepper wouldn't have any endearing qualities and that she'd be so selfish and fashion centered that I wouldn't be able to make it through the book. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Yes, Pepper has some room to grow but I found her enjoyable despite those flaws. She was a well balanced character; having flaws that I am assuming Daniels will slowly weed through and but I didn't feel I had to push through this first book. I loved Pepper, so I am excited to see how much more I love her as I continue to read this series.

The plot was at a steady pace and kept you wanting to read. Even when the characters weren't doing much, all the back history and sleuthing into Gus's past was so much fun. I loved the humorous moments and how Pepper learned so much from DVDs and her trying to explain that to her friendly ghost. Daniels mixed so much together in just the right blend, from humor to Pepper really succeeding in her digging. I dislike when characters seem overly klutzy and manage to always escape unscathed. Daniels put Pepper in situations that allowed for some really great moments, but in no way was Pepper a sleuthing genius.

I am so happy I got into this series and I cannot wait to catch up on the rest of this series. Two thumbs up!

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: