CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

TITLE: Hush, Hush

AUTHOR: Becca Fitzpatrick

SUMMARY: For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She''s never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora''s not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can''t decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life. - From Publisher

REVIEW: A brilliant start to this new series!

The character of Nora Grey sorta fell into the cookie cutter shape that seems to be drifting about in teen/ya genre. And I've got to admit I didn't really like that. I don't like reading about the same character in book after book and that makes me wish that perhaps things were changed up. That Nora was a bit different and wasn't the typical teen that was clumped in the reject group of HS. I do have to say that I liked that Nora's Mom wasn't what I expected. I expected her to be distant and not really take an interest in Nora's life but I enjoyed reading that her Mom was there, just simply trying to make ends meat for the family. Was a refreshing change, but didn't make up for Nora being the expected.

Patch, thankfully was not what I expected. He was probably the most refreshing of them all. I sorta popped him into dark/brooding sort and while he did have some of those qualities as the book progressed things were just exposed and I ended up loving him. I don't want to give too much away because no one likes spoilers in reviews but I am most looking forward to this series due to his character. Fitzpatrick wrote him full of angles and edges and while reading this I was never quite sure who he exactly was and what his motives truly were. She kept me on my toes and I love when the unexpected happens with a character that you feel will be expected. Make sense?

The story itself I found to be an enjoyable read. The plot was laid out nicely with a good pace. Things were in constant motion but I never felt like she tried to put too much into this book. She set the stage beautifully and left enough loose ends that her second book Crescendo is going to be eagerly anticipated by this reader.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: