CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fallen - Lauren Kate

TITLE: Fallen

AUTHOR: Lauren Kate

SUMMARY: There''s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price''s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He''s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can''t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story. - From Publisher

REVIEW: I was sadly disappointed with this book.

I found it to be far too much like other books I've read. The whole school being more than it appears has been done and in my opinion done much better. I found the way the school was set up and controlled far too dramatic and sorta felt like a ploy to make the kids isolated. I think Kate could've found a way to bring this group of troubled kids together without the school or maybe doing the school in a way that hasn't been done.

The characters themselves bored me and were really predictable and cookie cutter. Each character filled the 'formula' and nothing about them was really unique. And then we hit the major pot hole that always rattles me.

Yes, I do realize that I am not a teen and so my view on relationships is naturally different. With that said while I understand that teen books will have a relationship occur far quicker and not with the same layers and detailing that an adult book will I don't think that means that the female should be weak minded. Can someone please explain to me why so often in teen/ya books the female lead is written as a smitten kitten who will forgive any slight and the male lead always has some excuse as to why he flops on and off on the girl. Why in the world are we teaching young females that it's okay if the guy goes hot and cold and to just keep going back for more? I know this is just fictional but I feel like it's setting up unrealistic expectations for girls or that they should stick with a guy that does that whole yo-yo thing and that he'll have this 'reason' for his behavior.

Okay, I'll put that rant on the shelf... for now.

The story/plot was interesting but I felt like it took ions before we got to the meat of it all. I wish we'd gotten more of Luce's back-story and the events of the 'incident' that brought Luce to the school. I'm all for being shown the events rather than told for important plot points. I think in this case it would've added to her character.

This first book is definitely a set up for the next book and sadly nothing about this book really makes me want to pick up the second book. All around I think the younger age group will enjoy but for those adults that enjoy reading teen/ya books I'd venture to guess you won't.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: