CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 12, 2010

Once Dead, Twice Shy - Kim Harrison


Specials
TITLE: Once Dead, Twice Shy

AUTHOR: Kim Harrison

SUMMARY: My name is Madison Avery, and I'm here to tell you that there's more out there than you can see, hear, or touch. Because I'm there. Seeing it. Touching it. Living it.

Madison's prom was killer-literally. For some reason she's been targeted by a dark reaper-yeah, that kind of reaper-intent on getting rid of her, body and soul. But before the reaper could finish the job, Madison was able to snag his strange, glowing amulet and get away.

Now she's stuck on Earth-dead but not gone. Somehow the amulet gives her the illusion of a body, allowing her to toe the line between life and death. She still doesn't know why the dark reaper is after her, but she's not about to just sit around and let fate take its course.

With a little ingenuity, some light-bending, and the help of a light reaper (one of the good guys! Maybe . . . ), her cute crush, and oh yeah, her guardian angel, Madison's ready to take control of her own destiny once and for all, before it takes control of her.

Well, if she believed in that stuff. - From Publisher

REVIEW: Within the first few chapters I was hooked, I loved the Dark and Light Reapers and Angels universe that Harrison created. Unfortunately mid-way through the book the plot got a bit dull and chaotic, thankfully by the end Harrison re-found her plot and perked my interest again.

The plot itself was good, not great; but I've got a feeling that this book sets up for the rest of the series. Hopefully with the coming books we'll get more character development and a slightly less choppy book. I think if she'd found a way to give us less action and more character growth and history I would've enjoyed this far more. Especially since she is making this a series, some of the stuff could've been left hanging and then wrapped up in the next book.

That leads me to my biggest problem with this book. I never felt myself attached to the lead, Madison Avery. I was often more intrigued by Barnabas and what caused him to become who he was. I loved the weight that he carried around and when he was up dealing with time keeping politics I found that I got a bit bored. I want more of him and less of other characters.

The friendship/relationship between Madison and Josh felt off and while I felt like I'm suppose to be cheering these two on I'm not. Never found myself wanting these two to have more time together and really... I felt like Josh was a predictable character. I wanted motive for him helping Madison out, for not being the 'jock' that originally we were lead to believe. What caused Madison to feel for him. None of this was given and due to that I never fell for him.

All in all, I didn't love and I didn't hate. I will probably pick up the second book in the series Early to Death, Early to Rise, which comes out May 25, 2010, and decide then if I'll continue to read. Though, I'm sure those that love Harrison will enjoy her dive into the YA genre.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

3 comments:

Juli D. Revezzo said...

Thank you for the review. I personally am a Kim Harrison fan, but I haven't gotten to (or gotten)t his one yet. From your review, I must say, I'm curious. Will have to put this on the "to get" list. Thanks, Lisa!

♥ Lisa ♥ said...

I think my problem was that there was so much hype about her adult series that my expectations were too high. I'm definitely the minority with not being addicted to that series because just about everyone I've talked to that has read it is in LOVE with it.

Definitely snap this book up. It was a good read and I think the series has some good potential, it's different than a lot of the YA series out there. Glad you enjoyed the review!

Thanks for the comment!

Juli D. Revezzo said...

*blush* Well, I have to admit to being one of those lovers of her Hollows series. I guess you saw that; if you want to give it another shot, you're welcome to join my Hollows Challenge. :) http://julismapsroom.blogspot.com/p/hollows-challenge.html

I signed up to follow you, Lisa (and thanks for doing the same :)); I look forward to seeing what next on your tbr pile. :)