CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Give Up The Ghost - Megan Crewe


Specials
TITLE: Give Up The Ghost

AUTHOR: Megan Crewe

SUMMARY: Cass McKenna much prefers ghosts to ''breathers. '' Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable. They know the dirt on everybody . . . And Cass loves dirt. She''s on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of all of the poseurs in her school. But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass''s whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her help to contact his recently deceased mother, but Cass is less than enthusiastic. Kicking and screaming, Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim''s life. And she''s more surprised than anyone when she realizes that maybe some living people aren't so bad if she''d only give them a chance. - From Publisher

REVIEW: I love when an author's debut novel has me longing for more. Crewe's definitely on my "Author's to Watch" list and she should be on yours.

If I had to describe our lead, Cass McKenna I'd say, "take the character Veronica Mars, erase her sleuthing prowess and replace it with gossipy ghosts (Norris & Bitzy) that like helping Cass expose the jerks of high school." How can you not want to read this book? It's a smart read! Plus, Cass has a nice blend of anger, frustration, loneliness with a splash of heart ache & betrayal going (much like my beloved VM). Never did I find myself getting annoyed with Cass and her decisions, Crewe gave her characters reasons for their actions and executed it beautifully. Leaving them full of life and lovable.

Along with the dynamic character the plot she delivered was powerful and moving. This was not another story of teenage angst; there was lots of growth in various characters, which made the story stronger. Never did I find the plot hit a slow spot or a rut; nor did I find that Crewe was struggling to make things happens that then caused the plot to bounce about. It all flowed smoothly and kept me engaged. There was lots of unexpected in this book, which was refreshing. Stuff that I thought would happened didn't and stuff that I didn't guess did. I loved that.

Definitely recommend this to those that like YA books. I thoroughly - thoroughly enjoyed this one.

RATING: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: